Headboard Reveal!

It's finally time for the big reveal and I am so excited because I love love love the way it came out!
Here's what you need if you want to try this for yourself:

-1/2 inch piece plywood --> cut to the width of your bed and your desired height
-batting
-foam (I used 1/2 inch)
-staple gun
-adhesive spray
-nailhead trim --> can be found on ebay
-rubber mallet or a hammer with some sort of fabric covering it so you don't dent the trim
-and, of course, fabric of your choice

First things first, I went to Home Depot to get my plywood cut and Joann Fabrics to get my fabric, foam, batting and adhesive spray.  Although there was a sign for Nailhead Trim on the shelf at Joann's, it was sold out and no one had a clue when it would be back in stock, so I had to order from ebay.

I ironed my fabric and layed it face down across the floor.  I put the batting on top of that and than sprayed the batting with Adhesive Spray and laid the 1/2 inch piece of foam on top to keep it all in place.


I then placed my piece of plywood on top of the 3 layers..


You may need to cut your foam as I did in the above picture so your edges are cleaner.


 That's me hard at work :)


Make sure you pull the fabric and batting tight enough so it stays in place but not too tight that it creates bumps along the edges of your headboard.


Ta-da!  Now onto the Nailhead Trim...


With most Nailhead Trim's you only have to nail in every 5th nail; convenient right?  Lucky me purchased this from ebay where it was misadvertised and I had to bang in every other nail.  Not the end of the world, just a bit more time consuming and more difficult to keep a straight line.  You can always use regular nailheads but this will take double the time.


See how they fit in like so?  Very simple.  Don't get down on yourself if you break a few nails though; I had a large pile of bent and broken nails along with a not so nice looking thumb when I decided to hammer my thumb instead of a nail by accident.. me and hammers, we don't really mix too well!



There you have it!  It's not perfect, but I think that's why I love it so much.  It has character.  Not to mention since our bed is against a window it very easily gets hot and cold based on the outdoor temperature.  With our new headboard it is so much more comfortable! 

That's not all for today though.  I couldn't resist quickly sewing together 2 more throw pillows and grabbing a fun pillow from our guestroom to spice up the big reveal:


The blue fabric I bought on sale at fabric.com for $15 per yard, it's Dwell Studio and can be found here.  You guessed right, that's $15 for two pillows!  Beat that deal!

And when I say I quickly sewed these pillows I mean ordered fabric, which was delivered within a couple of days, pulled apart two old throw pillows, used their filler and sewed these bad boys within 30 minutes! 

Those curtains you ask?  Well, you didn't ask but I will share with you anyway :)  They are made out of $8 painters dropcloth.. that's right.. and they are actually "no-sew" curtains because at the time I had no clue how to use a sewing machine!  I'll write a post about them one of these days..

PS-If anyone is interested, I will be opening my own Etsy shop where I will be selling these headboards.  Feel free to send me an email at rebpino@gmail.com if you are interested in buying a custom headboard.  You can use any print or solid fabric you wish, I will help you design it :)

2 comments:

  1. Love this! The two rows were a great choice and the pillow combo is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have to show my boyfriend, he has been wanting to make one!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love <3