Sweet Return

I know, it's been a while, almost 3 whole months to be exact.  BUT I am back.. life got hectic and overwhelming, so I've decided I will be writing on Mondays and Wednesdays only. (For now)

I may have disappeared on you but boy have I been busy!  I have a quite a few projects to share with you all!  Today I will share the wonderful cupcakes I made this past weekend, compliments of Martha of course!  It was my sister's birthday as well as father's day so of course I used it as an excuse to try these mouth watering Strawberry Cupcakes!  They were surprisingly really easy!

Cake Ingredients:
-2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup cake flour (not self-rising)**See below!
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
-2 1/4 cup sugar
-3 large eggs
-1 large egg white
-1 cup whole milk
-1 1/2 teaspoons pur vanilla extract
-2 cups finely chopped strawberries (I left these out to make the cupcake a bit more simple)

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
-4 large egg whites
-1 1/4 cups sugar
-3/4 pound unsalted butter, softened, cut into small pieces (3 sticks)
-1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries pureed

I must admit, however, they did not come out perfect because I made a few mistakes.  I knew the minute I put the cupcakes in the oven something wasn't right.  Well, for one I just realized writing this recipe for you that I totally missed the 1 egg white ingredient (whoops!).  The evil cake flour is what had me baffled.  I had never heard of it, never used it, went to the store and couldn't find it!  So instead of being smart and googling what the heck it was, I figured I would just use all-purpose flour in it's place.  Which wasn't the end of the world, until I realized I used way too much of it! It looked like I was making muffins rather than cupcakes!  After I put them in the oven I turned to google and learned there is such a thing as cake flour.  It's usually at the top shelf in the food store above the all-purpose flour.  If you cannot find cake flour you can always use less all-purpose flour and a teaspoon of cornstarch.  (I didn't try this obviously, but next time I will).  I contemplated a re-do but decided to move on to the strawberry buttercream icing, because, well, if the icing tastes good who cares if there's a vanilla muffin underneath!

Unfortunately, I made mistakes here too :(  That softened butter.. yea, it was ice cold and hard.  So I used logic, or so I thought!, and microwaved it for 30 seconds so it was soft.  I found out later, when I resorted to google yet again after making runny strawberry buttercream icing, that you are NOT to microwave the butter.  You really just need to let it sit.  Strike 3!  I let it sit in the fridge and crossed my fingers for thicker icing in a few hours. 

When all was said and done, the cupcakes weren't terrible, they were actually quite tasty!  The actual cupcake tasted like a pound cake rather than a white crumbly cake I was going for, but it happens!  At least they looked really pretty!

Lessons learned, I will definitely be trying this one again soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love <3